Our History...Excellence Since 1950
At the end of World War II, Paul C. Beck left his job as chief metallurgist for Alcoa Casting Division in Cleveland, Ohio to become an independent consultant for producers of high-quality aluminum alloy castings. By 1950 he recognized the need for higher quality raw materials and subsequently built and ran an aluminum smelter in Mentor, Ohio.
The prominence given to the use of aluminum over steel after World War II helped the business to grow. By 1955, Paul had decided to stop producing and concentrate solely on distribution. His son, Gerald R. Beck joined him in 1956 and together they achieved the goal of matching the best ingot to each customer at a competitive price. The increasing demand for aluminum by the automotive and trucking industries helped build a large and loyal customer base that continues today.
Paul Beck retired in 1973 and grandson Scott W. Beck joined Gerald in 1978 after completing training as a metallurgical technician. Scott was instrumental in expanding Beck Aluminum’s territory throughout Ohio, Michigan, Indiana and Canada.
In 1985, Gerald’s second son, Bryan C. Beck, joined the family business. Throughout the 1980s and 90s Beck Aluminum continued to experience territorial growth. This expansion included all of the United States east of the Mississippi River, Canada and Mexico. The company continued to prosper by responding to changes in the aluminum marketplace. The automotive industry, in particular, began utilizing more recycled scrap and secondary ingot in the production of their vehicles.
Throughout the 1990's Beck Aluminum reacted to the growing demand for recycled aluminum, first by aligning with the highest quality secondary smelters and then ultimately building its own greenfield facility in Pennsylvania. In 2007, Scott's son, Geoffrey S. Beck joined the Company.
The consolidation of domestic primary aluminum producers caused a reduction in the availability of quality ingot products in North America. Beck seized this opportunity and looked overseas to fill this need. In 2006 Beck Aluminum created a trading division to source primary products and manage price risk for its growing customer base. Beck Aluminum supplies millions of pounds of imported primary products to dozens of North American manufacturers monthly.
The Company’s recycling business grew and it eventually had 3 plants located in Lebanon, PA, Houston, TX and Mount Pleasant, WI. On November 1, 2016, Beck Aluminum sold its manufacturing business to Real Alloy Recycling, Inc. Due to the breadth of specialty alloys and geographical diversity Beck Aluminum and Real Alloy shared very few customers. With the combination of Real Alloy's proven operational ability and Beck Aluminum's strength in marketing aluminum to the foundry and die cast industries the transaction made sense for both companies. Beck Aluminum continues to service customers while building and developing new secondary alloy sales for the 21 Real Alloy plant locations in North America.
In addition, Real Alloy became a minority partner in Beck's distribution and trading business. The new partnership will provide Beck Aluminum access to new markets, Real Alloy a new product line to support its vast global customer base and the ability for both to capitalize on the geographic reach, diverse market segments and extensive customer relationships that each company has built over the years.